Welcome Message and Course Info/Updates From Dr. Brett
Greetings and Welcome to Parenting For Success!
First and foremost, thank you for placing your trust in this program that I'm SO excited to finally make available as a video-based course! Your trust is something that I do not take lightly. For this reason, I want to ensure that the information meets your expectations and (more importantly) helps you support a more positive family experience. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any suggestions that could help improve the course or questions regarding any of the materials. Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments sections or email me directly at [email protected].
Before you get started, there are a few things to note as you start your journey through the materials:
- There IS a downloadable workbook that accompanies the information in this course! You can access it by clicking on this link or scrolling down to the final lecture section at the bottom of the course sections (below Section 7). The workbook includes summaries of the information, intervention tip sheets and sample worksheets. Also available in the Workbook Section are screen shots of several "key point" graphics that you will see throughout the program.
- There are a few instances throughout the videos where I mention "Part 3 of this course." For clarification, Parenting For Success! was originally presented a three-part series. Part 1 (Understanding The Behavior Equation) and Part 2 (Mindful and Proactive Parenting) are now consolidated into Parenting For Success! - Part 1. The original Part 3 (Navigating the Challenges) is currently available as Parenting For Success! - Part 2.
- Some parents have asked if the interventions in this course also apply to older children. The short answer is YES! I've always said, it doesn't matter if I'm working with a 5-year-old, a 15-year-old, or a 45-year-old...the behavior principles are pretty consistent across the ages. HOWEVER, the way in which we apply the interventions must be adjusted to accommodate the age and potentially specific diagnoses. For example, using "praise/positive attention" will help encourage behaviors across all ages, but the way we use it for a toddler is going to look much different than how it will look/sound for a teenager or an adult...or at least it should in most cases. ;)
- This first installment in the series provides a very important foundation for developing the tailored and effective behavior intervention plans that are discussed at length in Parenting For Success! - Part 2. For this reason, I STRONGLY encourage you to take your time going through the Part 1 videos and materials before proceeding into the Part 2 curriculum. In fact, when scheduling the in-person version of this series, I often recommend a 1-2 week interval between session/part 1 and session/part 2. The reason for this interval is to provide an opportunity to implement the part 1 homework and troubleshoot any questions that come up as you practice these proactive and mindful strategies. With that in mind, please don't hesitate to leave a comment or email me with any questions you may have along your journey.
- COMING SOON!!! I am currently in the process of developing a "Parenting For Success!" behavior support coaching program that will only be available to participants who have completed the full 2-part series. If this is a service that is of interest to you, please let me know ([email protected]) and you'll be among the first in line with priority access for scheduling! :)
One final note as we get started: Remember that positive and mindful parenting practices will not make every day in your family journey easy, but it will help make every day count!
Thank you again for your participation and welcome to the Behavior Compass Academy!